BIOS chip removal L...

Notifications
Clear all

BIOS chip removal Lenovo YOGA 910-13IKB  

RSS

computersbyterry
(@computersbyterry)
11/02/2020 11:24 pm  

After successful removal of 8 pin BIOS chip from spare laptop motherboard I thought I would be able to remove the BIOS chip on a Lenovo YOGA 910-13IKB. I set the temperature to 360 degrees F and used the same technique that I used on the previous chip (heat for 1 minute and remove with tweezers). The chip would not come off strangely. I turned the heat up to 400F and tried for a minute again and the chip would not come off?!? I gave up after that and figured I would need to ask around. Does anybody know why this happened and how I can succeed. Any help would be appreciated. The first chip (it was a practice board) came off so easy but the Lenovo was no dice?

Mike
 Mike
(@admin)
Owner Admin
11/02/2020 11:55 pm  

more heat and/or more airflow.  Use some flux.

ReplyQuote
computersbyterry
(@computersbyterry)
12/02/2020 7:21 pm  

Thanks I was being conservative. That got it!

ReplyQuote
TiptonRepair
(@tiptonrepair)
Eminent Member Customer
12/02/2020 8:11 pm  

You can mix in some low melt / leaded solder on the original BIOS IC to help lower the temperature needed for removal.  Tin your soldering iron, add some flux around the edge of the IC, then touch the pins to mix in the new solder.  It will help get it to remove easier with less heat.

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@admin)
Owner Admin
12/02/2020 11:59 pm  

I rarely ever use low melt any more.  Turn up the airflow if you are having issues.

ReplyQuote
Share: